Sunday, August 7, 2011

Druthers is Not an Ingredient Found in Soap

I am notoriously choosy about what soaps, lotions and cosmetics I purchase for my family. If I had my druthers (what is a druther, really?)*, I would make my own soap from fresh alpaca milk and spearmint lovingly harvested from my front yard. But alas, I know nothing about the fine art of soap making. So before I purchase any product I research it on The Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. It is my electronic bible. I love it, love it, love it. I can search for specific products and find out exactly what ingredients are in it, and more importantly, what that means. Because who really knows what Cetyl Hydroxyethylcellulose is?

An example of a product search on Skin Deep
*I love answers and I love Google searches. 
The meaning of "if I had my druthers" courtesy of The Phrase Finder:

This is an American phrase and not used widely elsewhere. People elsewhere in the world might want to know what druthers are, as the phrase conveys otherwise. Druthers is a shortening of 'would rathers'. The phrase originated in the late 19th century and is first cited in the January 1870 edition of Overland monthly and Out West magazine, in a story called Centrepole Bill, by George F. Emery:

   "If I was a youngster, I 'drather set up in any perfession but a circus-driver, but a man can't always have his 'drathers."
Druthers, as opposed to its earlier variant drathers, is traced back to 1876 in Dialect Notes:
   "Bein's I caint have my druthers an' set still, I cal'late I'd better pearten up an' go 'long."