Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Modern Day Wet Nurse

I really love breastfeeding. A lot. I love the closeness, the physicality of it, the nutritional benefits for baby JAR, the caloric burn for me. I love the feeling of let-down. I love it all (excluding matronly nursing bras, pumping, and mastitis). As long as he is game, I will nurse my son as long as it's socially acceptable, and then probably for a bit longer after that.



However, I would like to make it clear that I am not a breastfeeding zealot, looking to convert formula users. Breastfeeding does not work for every mom. I get that. I have friends that tried very hard to breastfeed and it just didn't happen. I also have friends that just prefer using formula. It makes no difference to me what other people do. I simply love to breastfeed. So I do.

But because baby JAR refuses to take a bottle and because I have to pump during the week to keep up my supply, I have a surplus of breastmilk. I could not bear the thought of throwing it out, so I did a little research. There are milk banks across the country that provide breastmilk to babies in Neonatal Intensive Care Units. Babies with moms who want to breastfeed but can't for various reasons. So I filled out an extensive health history, got a blood test, and then... Fed-Ex came to my house and picked up 115 ounces of frozen, grade A human milk. Cheers!

If you want more information, check out the Human Milk Banking Association of North America.